The Mark of Vishnu By Khushwant Singh Full Summary and Character Sketch in English Language.
Introduction of the Story The Mark of Vishnu
In the present “The Mark of Vishnu by Khushwant Singh”, the author pin points how ignorant and superstitious people believe that all life is sacred. Gunga Ram is such a Brahmin. He holds the belief that all living creatures, howsoever dangerous, cruel and poisonous they may be should not be killed. But such blind belief, the offspring of ignorance and illiteracy, often prove catastrophic. It is a strange irony of fate that the same Kala Nag whom Gunga Ram feeds with milk daily, worships and holds sacred bits him and ends his life. Thus the author has hit hard at the unfounded superstition and blind-faith.
Gunga Ram, A Blind Devotee
The writer was school going boy. Gunga Ram was a servant in his household. He was ignorant and superstitious. He was a religious man. He worshiped the Hindu Gods Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. But he was most devoted to Vishnu. He smeared his forehead with V. mark. He believed that all life was sacred. He advised the children not to kill the animals and birds.
Hole of a Kala Nag
There was a snake hole in the house. A 6 feet long cobra lived there. Gunga Ram would place a saucer of milk near the hole every night. Next morning he would collect the empty saucer. He felt satisfied. He believed that the cobra would not bite anybody in the house as long as he gave it milk. There were 4 boys. They would make fun of Gunga Ram. They said that he was very stupid. The milk he offered to the cobra was drunk by a cat. This annoyed Gunga Ram. He warned the children that they would have to pay for it one day.
The Children Broke the back of Kala Nag
One morning there was heavy rain. It flooded the hole of the snake. Gunga Ram was not at home. The snake came out of its hole. The boys saw it. They decided to catch it. They broke its back. The snake could not move. They put it in a biscuit tin. They decided to take it to their school. Gunga Ram came to know of it when he found the saucer full of milk the next morning.
Kala Nag Take to School
There was a great excitement at school when the boys handed over the tin box to their science teacher. He got ready to put the snake into the bottle of spirit. He untied the string put around the tin. The lid suddenly flew into the air. The wounded cobra raised its hood. It was in great anger. The teacher saved himself with great difficulty. The snake moved out of tin. It started crawling towards the door.
Kala Nag bit Gunga Ram
Gunga Ram appeared at the door. He saw the snake and felt sorry for it. He had brought a saucer of milk for the snake. He placed the saucer on the floor. He bent down before the cobra as a mark of respect. But the snake was a snake. It looked very angry. It hissed and bit Gunga Ram all over his head and face.
Gunga Ram’s Death
Gunga Ram fell down unconscious. The snake disappeared into a gutter. The teacher ran to him. He wiped his face. He noticed the V-mark on his forehead. The snake had bitten him at that very place. Gunga Ram lay dead.
Explore and Study More Topics
- A Man Who Had No Eyes : Full Summary & Character Sketch in English Language
- Mrs Packletide’s Tiger : Character Sketch & Summary in English Language
- Sinking of the RMS Titanic : Full Summary in English Language
- Work is Worship ( Key to Success ) : Essay Writing in English Language
- A Street Fight (Quarrel) Scene I Have Seen : Very Short Essay in English Language
- Population Explosion : Short Paragraphs, Essay, Article in English
- Love For Animals or Kindness to Animals : Essays, Articles, Paragraphs in English Language
- Morning Walk Benefits : Short Essay in English Language
- Simple Living and High Thinking Short Paragraph in English Language for Students
- 1500+ General Knowledge (GK) Questions and Answers For Competitive Exams Part 7
- My Aim in Life or My Ambition in Life or My Goals in Life : Essay in English Language for Students Exams
- An Indian Farmer Long and Short Essay in English Language For Schools Exams
- An Hour Before The Examination : Article, Paragraph, Essay in English Language for Examinations
- 80 Best Topics for Essay, Paragraph, Article and Speech Writing in English Language
- Importance of Reading Books Short Paragraphs, Essay, Articles in English Language
- My Favourite / Ideal Teacher : Essay Writing in English Laguage
- The World Would Be Better Without Science : Essays, Articles, Paragraphs in English Language for Students
- Full List of Most Important One Word Substitutions With Answers For All Competitive Exams Part 14
- Indian Economy Selected Questions and Answers Set 1
- Drug Addiction Among Youth or Problem of Drug Addiction Essay in English Language
- Corruption in Public Life : Essay, Paragraphs and Articles in English Language For Schools and Board Exams
- A Healthy Mind Resides in A Healthy Body : English Articles, Paragraphs, Essay for School Students
- Honesty is The Best Policy : Essay Writing in English Language
- Honesty is The Best Policy : Short Essay in English Language for Students Exams
- Peacock-The National Bird of India : Essay Writing in English Language
- 50 Best Topics and Examples for Essay Writing in English Language
- Television (TV) – A Boon or A Bane : Essay in English Language
- Importance of Girl (Women) Education : Short Essay in English Language
- The Role of Youth in National Development : English Essay, Paragraph, Article Writing For Schools and Board Exams
- Importance of Women (Female) Education Short Essay in English For Students
- A Visit to A Hospital : English Language Short Essays, Paragraphs, Articles For Students Exams
- Example is Better Than Precept Very Short Paragraph in English Language for Schools and Board Exams
- All That Glitters is Not Gold : Full and Short Essay in English Language For Board Schools Exams
- The Problem of Indiscipline Among Students : English Essay, Article, Paragraph For Students
- Very Short Essay A Scene Outside An Election Booth in English Language For Schools and Board Exams
- Most Important Idioms and Phrases With Answers For All Competitive Exams Part 10
- CBSE 12th Results 2017 Declared : Raksha Gopal Tops with 99.6% Marks From Amity International School Noida
- My Native Village Life : Essay Writing in English Language For Students’ Exams
- A Stitch in Time Saves Nine Short Essay in English Language For Students Exams
- Better Alone Thank in A Bad Company Short Essay in English Language for Students