Mahatma Gandhi’s also known as Mohan Das Karamchand Gandhi. He was born on 2 October, 1869 at Porbandar in Gujarat, India.
As a student, he was not quite brilliant. But, under the influence of his mother, he had a highly religious, upright mind. It is well known to all that he refused to copy a word probably “kettle” even when he was asked by his class teacher to do so. It was clear that he was a child of truth, character, honesty and integrity and no temptation could bow him down. He was a spiritual anarchist. He reversed the dictum ‘God is truth’ with ‘truth is God’. He was a peace lover.
He was married when he was only 13 years old. He went to England for higher studies when he was 19 years old. He took some vows before his mother before leaving for England. These included not taking wine or meat and not casting a lustful eye on any woman.
He became a Barrister and returned to India in 1891 and started practice at Rajkot and Mumbai (Bombay at that time). He could not succeed as a lawyer.
He went to Africa in 1893. He fought for justice for Indians there during his twelve years stay there. After his return to India In 1914, he chose Gopal Krishna Gokhale to be his mentor.
He toured the countryside and acquainted himself with the views and aspirations of the Indian people. At first he started the Non-Cooperation Movement. He wanted to attain Swaraj by peaceful means. After the Chauri-Chaura incident, he took back the movement.
Then he started the Civil Disobedience Movement on 6th April, 1930 which led to the famous Dandi March. There was picketing of foreign good during this movement.
He started the Quit Indian Movement on August 8, 1942. Now, there was mass movement against the British Rule. During this period most of the Indian leaders were put behind the bars.
India attained Independence on August 15, 1947, but the great Mahatma was assassinated by Nathu Ram Godse on 30 January, 1948.
He is well known as the ‘Father of the Nation’ in India, and will always be remembered as an apostle of peace, love, truth and non-violence, and one of the greatest Indians and world leaders.
Explore and Study More Topics
- Importance of Discipline in Life : Essay in English Language For Students
- Essay on My Favourite Leader, I Admire in English Language For Students
- Role of Women in Society in India : Full Essay in English Language
- What is Black Money ? Problems, Sources and Remedial Solutions By Government – Essay For Students
- What are The Merits and Demerits of Education System in India – English Essay For Students
- What are Electoral Bonds? What You Should Know?
- Indian Economy Selected Questions and Answers Set 4
- My Plans For The Future or The Choice of A Profession Essay in English For Students
- Essay on A Railway Train Accident in English For Students
- Essay on HIV AIDS : Transmission, Symptoms, Prevention and Treatment
- Abbreviated or Alternative (Also Known As) Names of the Famous Persons (Indian History)
- Example is Better Than Precept Very Short Paragraph in English Language for Schools and Board Exams
- Environmental Pollution : Causes, Effects and Solutions in English For Exams
- Right to Information Act 2005 India
- Future of English Language in India : Complete Essay for Exams
- General Awareness : SSC Combined Graduate Level (CGL) TIER I Exam 8th July, 2012 North Zone Second Shift
- Independence Day (15th August) : Essay in English Language for Students’ Exams
- Modern Indian History Selected Questions and Answers Set 5
- Wonders of Science : Full Essay in English For Students
- What Makes an Effective Leader ? 25 Good Leadership Qualities
- Global Warming Introduction, Causes, Effects and Solutions
- My Likes and Dislikes – School English Essay For Students
- Unemployment Causes, Effects & Solutions : Essay Writing in English Language
- Modern Indian History Selected Questions and Answers Set 2
- Modern Indian History Selected Questions and Answers Set 1
- Full List of Most Important One Word Substitutions With Answers For All Competitive Exams Part 13
- Indian Economy Selected Questions and Answers Set 8
- Daily Latest Current Affairs MCQs For Competitive Exams : 21 August 2018
- Indian Economy Selected Questions and Answers Set 3
- SSC CHSC 10+2 Exam 2015 Solved Question Paper | Previous Year Questions Papers
- Peacock-The National Bird of India : Essay Writing in English Language
- Geography of India Selected Questions and Answers Set 5
- Modern Indian History Selected Questions and Answers Set 10
- Indian Economy Selected Questions and Answers Set 1
- List of Famous Indian Books and Their Authors For Competitive Exams
- Honesty is The Best Policy : Short Essay in English Language for Students Exams
- Simple Living and High Thinking Short Paragraph in English Language for Students
- Honesty is The Best Policy : Essay Writing in English Language
- Important International / Global Abbreviations / Acronyms / Full Forms For Competitive Exams
- Pre Historic Phases, Stone Age, Primary Culture, Major Sites (Locations) and Importance