Main Differences Between The Himalayan and Peninsular River System, Geography for Competitive and Entrance Examinations.
||The Himalayan River System
||Peninsular River System
||These rivers occupy large basins and catchment area
||These rivers have small basins and catchment areas. The Godavari having basin area of 3.12 lakh square kms is less than 1/3rd of Indus (11.65 sq. kms.)
||The Himalayn rivers from huge delta at their mouth which is the result of deposition of sediment at mouth.
||The river Tarmada and Tapti make estuaries whereas other big river forms details like Godavari and Cauvery.
||The Himalayan rivers are perennial in nature where water flows throughout the year received from both snow melt and rain.
||These rivers receive water only from monsoon rainfall and flows in rainy seasons. Therefore they are seasonal rivers.
||These rivers from meander in plain areas because of huge sediment carried and deposited by them in the plains which obstruct their flow and force them to flow in zig-zag shape (meander).
||These rivers have been flowing on the oldest plateau having hard rock surface of non-alluvial character forcing them not to flow in zig-zag shape. As such they flow in more or less in straight course.
||The Himalayan rivers flow through deep I-shaped valleys called gorges which have been carved out by down-cutting carried on side by side with the uplift of the Himalayas. They signify antecedent drainage.
||Peninsular rivers flow in more or less graded valley having little erosional activities to perform. They signify consequent drainage.
||These rivers flow across the young fold mountain and are still in youthful stage.
||These rivers have attained maturity because they flow through oldest plateaus of the world.
Explore and Study More Topics
- General Knowledge Facts About Planet Earth : World GK Study For Exams
- The Composition of Earth’s Crust By Weight (Elements and Oxides)
- The Great Northern Plains of India – Indian Geography Study
- Towns or Cities Associated with Important Industries or Factories in India, List of Industrial Centers In India
- GK Notes : List of Biosphere Reserves in India – General Knowledge For Competitive Exams
- List of Important Indian Towns / Cities Located On Rivers With States
- Amazing Facts and Statistical Information About The Earth
- Chemistry Solved Questions and Answers Set 22
- General Awareness : SSC Combined Graduate Level Tier-I Re-Exam Held On 30th August, 2015 with Solutions
- List of Highest Mountain Peaks in The World With Country Names and Heights
- Countries and Their Main Productions and Industries – World Geography Study
- List of The Popular Geographical Epithets of The World
- List of Countries by Capital Cities – Alphabetical Order
- Indian Wildlife Sanctuaries and National Parks with Locations and Species Reserved
- Population of Indian States and Union Territories (Census 2011)
- List of the Mineral Resources of India
- List of Different Types of Forests Found in India with Definition and Example
- List of Cash Crops (Nakadi Fasal) in India with Full Information Temperature, Rainfall, Soil Type, Producing States
- Indian States and Union Territories with Capital Cities and Year of Formation
- List of Famous Indian Hill Stations with Heights and Locations
- List of Tribal Groups and Their Habitats in India – Indian Geography Study
- General Awareness : SSC Combined Graduate Level TIER I Exam 16th May, 2010 Second Shift with Solutions
- World Geography Selected Questions and Answers Set 3
- International System of Units (S.I. Units) of Physical Quantity
- Most Important Idioms and Phrases With Answers For All Competitive Exams Part 3
- Physical Geography (India And World) Questions and Answers : All SSC Exams Previous Years Questions Papers Solved Part 1
- World Geography Selected Questions and Answers Set 2
- Chemistry Solved Questions and Answers Set 33
- Environmental Pollution : Causes, Effects and Solutions in English For Exams
- Hormones Definitions, List of Types, Functions, Examples : Endocrine System of Human Body
- Full List of Most Important One Word Substitutions With Answers For All Competitive Exams Part 7
- Chemistry Solved Questions and Answers Set 23
- Chemistry (General Science): All SSC Exams Previous Years Questions Papers Solved Part 6
- English One Word Substitution : All SSC Exams Previous Years Objective Solved Questions Set 1
- Chemistry Solved Questions and Answers Set 25
- Chemistry (General Science): All SSC Exams Previous Years Questions Papers Solved Part 4
- World Geography Selected Questions and Answers Set 9
- Branches of Science with Definition in Alphabetical Order Part – 4 ( Q – Z )
- Geography of India Selected Questions and Answers Set 1
- Chemistry Solved Questions and Answers Set 6